eConsult Clinical Spotlight: OB/GYN & Maternal Fetal Medicine
Complex pregnancies often require multi-specialty care. In the following case spotlight, clinicians from a women’s health practice group submitted a case to the RubiconMD eConsult+ platform. In this case, the care team did not have a maternal-fetal specialist readily accessible to them, so they submitted an eConsult.
- 36 year old pregnant patient
- History of liver nodules and existing lesions, wants to know if continuing with her pregnancy would be safe for the fetus and herself.
- Patient tried to follow-up with local OB/GYN and MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) offices, but scheduling has been difficult due to limited access.
- PCP shared an image of the lesion and wanted to confirm if a liver biopsy was necessary and if any additional imaging would be recommended during the pregnancy.
Video is narrated by Allison Heath, PA-C, during a monthly case share with RubiconMD employees.
- OB/GYN specialist found that the liver lesion was benign and told PCP to avoid liver biopsy due to risks in pregnancy. OB/GYN recommended the PCP to share this case and submit an eConsult to Hepatology.
- Again within eConsult+, the PCP was able to immediately turn around and submit an eConsult to Hepatology to confirm that the lesion was indeed benign and was also given the insightful recommendation of an MRI for the patient, which would be safe during pregnancy.
When an in-person referral was cumbersome, eConsult+ supported the PCP and their patient to gain access to multiple subspecialties.
Share this interesting case with any colleagues who would be interested in learning more about eConsult+ in practice.